What’s in an Upgrade? Do you need to plan for an upgrade with your QuickBooks Pro/Premier or Enterprise software?
We encounter this question time and time again.
If my QuickBooks Desktop Software is working, why would I upgrade? Frequently businesses would purchase a version of QuickBooks Desktop Software and would stay on it for years, if not forever, if it wasn’t “broken”, and only consider upgrading to the latest version if they liked the newest features being offered.
There are several reasons a business should review their QuickBooks software regularly and decide when an upgrade is needed.
- Older versions have a hard time keeping up on new computers being purchased by the business.
As technology is constantly changing, many have found that the older versions can’t keep up, especially with the new operating systems.
- Intuit stopped supporting the version that you have
QuickBooks desktop versions are supported by Intuit for three years.
Every year on May 31st, Intuit “sunsets” which means retires and no longer supports the oldest version three years prior to the current version. This means as of May 31st, 2019, Intuit will sunset the 2016 version of QuickBooks Pro, Premier (General Business, Contractor, Manufacturing & Wholesale, Nonprofit, Professional Services and Retail), Enterprise Solutions*, Mac, Accountant Edition and Point of Sale.
*will have access until expiration of your Full-Service Plan.
- Live Support services Customer support will no longer be available.
- Add-on services QuickBooks desktop versions have several add-ons features available that like the support services will not be available after May 31st. Add-on features are those that integrate with the software.
- Online banking
- Multi-currency features
- Online backup service
- The Accountant’s Copy File Transfer (ACFT) service
- Critical security updates
- QuickBooks Desktop payroll services
- QuickBooks payments services such as credit card and check (ACH) processing
- Bill Pay
- Your business may have outgrown the current version of QuickBooks
As a business grows, so does its accounting software needs. It may be time to upgrade from QuickBooks Pro or Premier to Enterprise
- System becomes sluggish and has performance issues- may mean the current version can no longer support the amount of data that is being processed
- Need to further limit user permissions- additional internal controls needed
- Limitation on user access- have more than 5 users
- Advanced reporting needs- typically for business that maintain inventory
Whether it’s time to upgrade your existing QuickBooks Desktop software to the latest version or make a change in versions being used, we can help you evaluate based on your current accounting needs and expected future growth for your business.